|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
October 5, 2012
(978) 345-7040 x19
MOC’S EIGHTH ANNUAL “TASTE OF NORTH CENTRAL”
Wednesday, November 14th 5:30-8:30 PM
Holiday Inn (CoCo Keys) in Fitchburg- Rte. 2 & 31
This year marks the Montachusett Opportunity Council’s (MOC) eighth annual “Taste of North Central”, a fabulous night of great food, fun, and music to benefit the region’s anti-poverty agency. Considered the Event of the Year, over 30 restaurants and an expected attendance of over 600 people, this will definitely be an event not to miss. Sonoma Restaurant, Rye and Thyme, Gardner Ale House, McNally’s Restaurant, Black Diamond Restaurant at Wachusett Mountain and Aunty Ellen’s Creative Confections are among the many restaurants confirmed to date.
Live and silent auctions will also be held, with items suited for everyone, including overnight stays, restaurant gift certificates and holiday gifts donated from local businesses. “It is a great opportunity for the community to enjoy an evening out with friends, enjoy delicious food and support a good cause, said Oscar O’Connor, President of the MOC Board of Directors, “Funds raised that evening go directly back into the community to serve those most in need. We want to raise more money than we did last year, in order to continue and expand the support that MOC provides to the area.”
Kathleen McDermott, Executive Director of MOC, Inc. stated that the “the fundraising from this event is important in carrying out the agency’s mission of alleviating poverty and creating healthy communities and also responding to the many area families in immediate need of emergency housing, fuel and food during this difficult economic time.”
MOC provided over $90,000 in fundraising proceeds over the past year towards the following programs and services in Our Local Communities:
- $10,000 to support Jobs4Youth Program. With these funds and other private fundraising dollars, 38 Youth were provided summer employment opportunities and job supports.
- $21,483 to provide operational support to MOC’s Division of Housing and Community Services, including the Homework Center at Green Acres, Food Pantry and Financial Education Counseling.
- $10,000 to support MOC’s Elder Services Operations that provided meals to over 2,700 individuals last year.
- $16,667 to support the operations of Childcare & Head Start that provided pre-school activities to develop school readiness skills to 450 children through Child Care Services and 550 children through Head Start.
- $2,446 in proceeds assisted 5 households in need of rental assistance.
- $13,560 in proceeds assisted 39 households in need of utility assistance.
- $16,125 in proceeds were used to provide emergency food cards to households in need.
Since the inception of the Taste of North Central in 2005, MOC has provided over $300,000 fundraising proceeds to support programs for children and families, including the Emergency Food and Fuel Fund.
The Taste of North Central is open to the public and tickets can be purchased in advance. Tickets are $30.00 each and are available by calling MOC at (978) 345-7040, online at www.tasteofnorthcentral.org, and at the door.
Montachusett Opportunity Council
The Montachusett Opportunity Council (MOC) is the designated community action agency for the North Central region of Massachusetts. MOC’s mission is to alleviate poverty and create healthy communities by providing services, coordinating community resources that promote self-sufficiency and advocating for social change. Last year, MOC provided services in 30 communities and served over 20,000 individuals. MOC delivers a variety of services including childcare, education, nutrition, training, health, community services, asset development, energy conservation and housing & homelessness services.